Skip to main content

Depression: The Killer Disease

(all photos taken from google.co.ke)

(apa.org)

It is time to accept the facts; we are all dealing with depression. It has become the number one chronic illness that seems to be killing people each and every day. This depression comes from the truth that we are all trying to be perfect.

Let us start here in Africa. We are trying as much as we can to be like other developed nations. We hate the color of our skin. We hate that we live in Africa (how many people want to move out of Africa? Let us ask the unfortunate people dying in the Mediterranean Sea crossing to Europe). We hate the color of our skin (it would seem it is no longer the blacker the berry, it is more the whiter the juice). We want to be rich; money is our new ‘god’. We want to be slim, just like the celebrities, or have flashy biceps and triceps. We cannot achieve all these without working hard, but with the amount of corruption and negative images of Africa, we all fall into depression. The ’dark continent’ which has been dubbed a country despite the numerous differences we have. We have left our mother tongues and we all want to speak our colonial masters’ language (I fall in this category very badly, with the unfortunate realization that I belong to three cultural communities in Kenya, I need a beating). We no longer appreciate our cultural values; we have thrown them to the gutter and want to be more ‘western’. There are people who still have their values put together, there are those who know their mother tongue off head, there are people who still love Africa, but with the continuing trends? I am not sure.

Let us walk in Nairobi today. Do you see the streets, do you see the shops; do you see the vehicles passing by, hooting at you, do you see the matatus speeding across the road, trying to get more customers? Now look at your phone, to find which street you are in, You need cash, your phone has it; You are bored, play games in your gadget; You need to socialize, my goodness, so many social networks to choose from. Charlie Chaplin said that what we need the most are not gadgets, but humanity. Albert Einstein feared that once technology surpasses human interaction, our world will be a generation of idiots. I am a culprit in this as well. I have let gadgets redefine my humanity, and I have killed most of my human interactions. We have been made to think that without our phones, laptops or tablets we cannot survive; But what of the people before us, before these new technologies?
(s-media-cache-ak0 pinimg.com)

(dailymail.co.uk)

Depression to me is caused by the lack of social interactions and sharing what we really have in our minds. Nobody has the time to listen to what we are going through; therefore, all the pain, jokes, and stories remain built up within us until they explode, always with negative consequences.

Did you know that there are standard eight candidates who have killed themselves because of the results of their final national examination? Did you know that married couples are divorcing or killing each other over petty things such as remote controls (I feel that stabbing someone over a remote control is a serious issue, but a lame reason)? Did you know that minors are becoming sexually active and abusing alcohol and drugs? Did you know that Kenyans are becoming chronic gamblers so that they can get a better life? Do you know that our economy keeps sinking in debt because of our levels of corruption? Did you know that we are all looking for shortcuts to a better life? Why? Depression.

I am a victim of depression. I feel the need to make myself better each and every day. I constantly receive pressures in life from family and friends. Most people do not know it, but I have been suffering from depression since I was young. I am an actor and I have learned to hide, putting on a face of someone who seems happy all the time. My only way to release and relieve myself has been through laughing, writing and listening to other people. I have also started exercising and eating healthier. I have learned that the best way t deal with depression is to surround yourself with good friends and family, and I am happy to say I have the best bunch of friends I know and some supportive family members; People who encourage me to always stay positive. My biggest friend has been my aunt. She has always been like a second mother and my big sister. She has always stood by my side. She has always helped me in my times of need, even if it meant borrowing from someone to give me. She has always made me laugh. She has encouraged me so many times.

(dutchamazingnewsblog.files.wordpress)

When I was in high school, I used to be a big failure. I was always bottom ten for the first two years. I hated the school and I always wrote letters of my displeasure to my parents. I felt like they had thrown me in the deepest end of a manhole and were looking down on me, laughing. It was an assumption; I did not know what they were going through. However, I was in adolescent years, and I really needed a good support system to help me deal with my ‘pressures’ in life. What made this worse was an uncle, who I would stay with before traveling home, pointing out that I was a failure. My aunt came all the way to that school and told me I was responsible for my future. Whatever I did at school would determine where I would be in life. She pointed to people in our family who had been given similar chances, but could not complete school for one reason or the other. She told me that she was looking up at me, to go beyond what she or my parents achieved. Those words really gave me a boost and at the starting of my third year, I had changed my perception of education and started working hard. I completed with a good enough grades to go to university. I completed my undergraduate and immediately leaped into doing my masters, which I am still doing today. The uncle I talked of earlier is still in shock, I graduated and I am still going on with school. This was thanks to a lady who was looking out for me. I still talk to her and whenever I do, no matter how angry or stressed I am, I would immediately light up.

Depression is what is killing us today. We want perfection, if we cannot get it, we resort to other ways. People are dying of cancer, diabetes, and high blood pressure which are lifestyles health issues. Suicides have also increased. Alcohol abuse has also increased (It is not about second generation drinks). We are all trying to look for money at the expense of our happiness, social interactions and health.
(quotesgram.com)

It is important to have a confidant. It does not necessarily have to be a family member. It could be someone who shares the same experience, but you encourage each other to be stronger each day.
If we all took our time to stop, rest a bit, reflect on our lives, talk to someone, then we would reduce the negative vibes we have today. Terrorists need to be talked to, for them to understand that people can work things out through talking. Children need to talked to avoid them acting out and engaging in negative behaviors. Couples need to talk to each other and create intimacy to avoid the amount of domestic violence we keep hearing and reading in the news. Girls need to be told they are beautiful and should love themselves for who they are. Boys should be talked to because they also go through some troubling times. We all need to talk to our God (Hebrew, Muslim, or Christian) or people we hold in high regard to get guidance on the queries that trouble us.

A problem shared, is a problem half solved


#FightDepression

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Men, we need to wake up

(all photos courtesy of Google). The world is evolving. Time is changing. Women are gaining power. Men are seated, watching, waiting for their turn. In the 90s and early 2000s all campaigns were directed at ‘empowering the women’ Do not get me wrong, women were mistreated and suffered under the tyranny of men and their egos. UNICEF created the International Day of the Girl to help end the circle of violence against adolescent girls. It is celebrated on the 11 th of October annually. Education was the major concern and center of debates, and the United Nations felt that it had serious impacts on human and economic aspects of society. Girls worldwide were forced to cook, clean and do other house hold chores while their male siblings went to school and received care and attention from parents. Girls were seen as a curse while boys were seen as a blessing. Men felt proud having a boy while mistreating the poor mother for having a girl. Something needed to

The Most Amazing Story Never Written

(Made on Canva) Alright. We need to write a short film and shoot it by the end of the month. Ok. What story are we telling? What stories excite the masses? I am not too sure. I think drama has been overwritten. Action? You think we can pull it off? We are going to need a budget for that. Not to mention we are going to need a trainer, an action director, a stunt manager, a doctor, practice the stunts, different days for shooting, a good director of photography and fit actors? Hahaha. Why do you think we would need fit actors? You trying to say we can’t find any? From the people we have. I highly doubt it. What would our actors be fighting against? Aliens? They never come to take over the world here. Zombies, our actors would run and leave us alone on the set. Moreover, we couldn’t get it approved. We don’t fight wars and we never have had heroes we can write about. How about we check online? All I found were stories about aliens, zombies and things that would never happen this side of t

Why an antagonist is important to a story

  (Made on Canva) Who is an antagonist? An antagonist is the villain of a story. It can be a human being, a natural phenomenon like a hurricane, a disease, an animal, an idea or a fictional character like a dinosaur. The aim of the antagonist is to create chaos and wreak havoc while creating obstacles for the protagonist (hero). The protagonist has to find a solution to the uncomfortable situation caused by the antagonist. In story-telling, the antagonist propels the story forward by creating an inciting incident that forces the protagonist to go on a journey to remedy the situation and restore balance. In the Dark Knight (2008), the Joker creates chaotic situations in the city of Gotham with the aim of killing the Batman. In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Thanos is looking for rings that will give him ultimate power and make him the supreme being of the universe. Why are antagonists not popular? Being an antagonist is not very appealing, especially in the acting business becau