Skip to main content

I am Scared

(Photo Source: polyvore.com)

The other day I went to my sister's talent show at school. My mom had asked me to come along to learn how to 'parent'. I gladly went to also show my support for my little sister. I would do anything to see my sister happy.

It was actually quite good. There were children making speeches, doing chemical experiments that left me amazed, and singing. My sister played her flute or recorder (she told us it was not a flute. It looked like a flute to me). It was generally a good performance and I marveled at what the children were showcasing. The events that happened at the end of the show were the ones that had me scared. The dancing.

One girl came on stage and I almost went to cover her up, but because of the world today, my intentions would have been mistaken. I felt horrid and cringed in my seat. I wanted to support these girls dancing, but my eyes always fell on her. I felt sorry for her. She was around my sister's age (12-14). The reason is she was wearing a tight top and she was really blessed in the chest area. Whenever she danced it would seem they would almost fallout and there would be another Janet Jackson incident.

I am a man, agreed; men are generally referred to as thinking with their lower organ, but it is not always the case. If it was my sister, I would have gone on stage and forced her to cover up. Not every man wants to see boobs each and every time. I felt scared because I was thinking if she were to walk around town and meet the 'thirsty' people of this world, what would have happened? I asked what of her parents? How do they feel about their daughter exposing herself?

The world is no longer the same as it was in the 1980s where women wore mini-skirts but men kept off till marriage. Today sex has been sold all over, any slight provocation leads to unwanted consequences. (I know, I know, I already talked about this before, but I feel the need to repeat)

My problem: She did not cover herself well. I had no need to see skin. She is a very beautiful young girl who will one day become a great leader, and leaders do not expose themselves. As Africans we may have shown our body parts long before colonization, but today is totally different. 'Her dress her choice' that is alright. However, men work harder for hidden treasure than exposed ones.

Many women may ask why men are not asking them out today, yet they dress explicitly. Well it is because of the dressing. Men want to conquer not to find exposed lands. This may upset people, but as much as men may be thirsty for big butts, breasts, twerkaholics, we still want a decent lady. That is why most marriages are not lasting because a woman has to constantly keep herself looking pretty and exposing her body to keep her man.

I am scared that the next generation and even mine will be in constant argument about dressing and whether it affects the psychology of people. To that little girl she was fine the way she was dressed. Not even her teachers stopped the performance to ask her to cover up. I am happy however when she came for the second dance she covered herself and buttoned her jacket. Someone must have listened to my silent complaints. This is why I wrote women are queens, and they should treat themselves and be treated as such.


I am old school. I appreciate women who know their worth and work hard to protect. Every one has a rights to dress as they want. I am also entitled to rights of having an opinion and my opinion is that women cover yourselves up. You are beautiful, you do not have to show the world to prove it.

(Photo Source: veteranstoday.com)

But I am not perfect. I saw something was wrong and did not stand up to say it. I cannot judge her dressing because she knows herself. With the constant pressures that young kids have during their adolescent lives, it is very unfair to blame them when they are trying to make a statement. Maybe her dressing was in rebellion to her parents or a way to look 'cool' in front of her peers. If given the chance, I wish I could encourage her, tell her she is beautiful just the way she is.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Men, we need to wake up

(all photos courtesy of Google). The world is evolving. Time is changing. Women are gaining power. Men are seated, watching, waiting for their turn. In the 90s and early 2000s all campaigns were directed at ‘empowering the women’ Do not get me wrong, women were mistreated and suffered under the tyranny of men and their egos. UNICEF created the International Day of the Girl to help end the circle of violence against adolescent girls. It is celebrated on the 11 th of October annually. Education was the major concern and center of debates, and the United Nations felt that it had serious impacts on human and economic aspects of society. Girls worldwide were forced to cook, clean and do other house hold chores while their male siblings went to school and received care and attention from parents. Girls were seen as a curse while boys were seen as a blessing. Men felt proud having a boy while mistreating the poor mother for having a girl. Something needed to

The Most Amazing Story Never Written

(Made on Canva) Alright. We need to write a short film and shoot it by the end of the month. Ok. What story are we telling? What stories excite the masses? I am not too sure. I think drama has been overwritten. Action? You think we can pull it off? We are going to need a budget for that. Not to mention we are going to need a trainer, an action director, a stunt manager, a doctor, practice the stunts, different days for shooting, a good director of photography and fit actors? Hahaha. Why do you think we would need fit actors? You trying to say we can’t find any? From the people we have. I highly doubt it. What would our actors be fighting against? Aliens? They never come to take over the world here. Zombies, our actors would run and leave us alone on the set. Moreover, we couldn’t get it approved. We don’t fight wars and we never have had heroes we can write about. How about we check online? All I found were stories about aliens, zombies and things that would never happen this side of t

Why an antagonist is important to a story

  (Made on Canva) Who is an antagonist? An antagonist is the villain of a story. It can be a human being, a natural phenomenon like a hurricane, a disease, an animal, an idea or a fictional character like a dinosaur. The aim of the antagonist is to create chaos and wreak havoc while creating obstacles for the protagonist (hero). The protagonist has to find a solution to the uncomfortable situation caused by the antagonist. In story-telling, the antagonist propels the story forward by creating an inciting incident that forces the protagonist to go on a journey to remedy the situation and restore balance. In the Dark Knight (2008), the Joker creates chaotic situations in the city of Gotham with the aim of killing the Batman. In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Thanos is looking for rings that will give him ultimate power and make him the supreme being of the universe. Why are antagonists not popular? Being an antagonist is not very appealing, especially in the acting business becau