Skip to main content

My Brother, the gangster

(Pinterest Website)

I walked up to him. He seemed distressed about something. We normally keep to ourselves, but we always have each other’s backs when we are in trouble. There’s no way he was going to suffer alone as I watched.

“Yoh bro, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing much.” He tries to smile, but fails miserably. I keep looking at him waiting for him to break and tell me the truth.

“Nothing is wrong, OK?” Pause. “OK, I got into some trouble with some guys, but I will sort it out.” He looks at me. I’m still waiting for him to finish. “OK, I got involved with some shylocks. I borrowed some money from them which I used all of it, but I forgot to pay, now they are asking me to join their gang to work off my debt, are you happy now?”

“Of course I’m not happy. Why Tom? Why? Why couldn’t you just have asked money from me?”

“I knew you were struggling with your business, I didn’t want to bother you.”

“Really? Even if that was the case now look at the predicament you have placed yourself in. Who are they?”

“They are the Mean Gangsters.”

“Of all the people in the world, you went to the Meanies. How much did you borrow?”

“100,000.”

“100,000? For what?”

“I wanted to show my boys a good time.”

“The road trip you took last month?”

“Yes.”

“You borrowed money to go and enjoy yourself? Are you serious?”

“Listen if you don’t want to help me say so, don’t rub it in OK?”

“You are kidding me right? Do you know the Meanies and their reputation in this estate?”

“Yes I do.”

“You do know they will do anything to get their money back?”

“Yes I do.”

“They can even come to kill me, thanks to you.”

“OK, OK, what do we do?”

“First question, how were you going to pay them?” He keeps quiet. “You were going to pay it somehow, right?”

“Um … “

“Seriously? You borrow from some of the shrewdest people in this estate and you have no idea of how you are going to pay them? Thank you very much.”

“I’m sorry OK. You work all day; We never hang out anymore; I’m struggling at school; Mom is sick at home; Our relatives refuse to see us; I was stressed OK, and I wanted to enjoy myself. If you’re not going to help then I will do it on my own.”

“What exactly are you going to do?”

“I will join their gang and work the debt off.”

“You know once you join them you can never leave.”

“What other option do I have? Plus I’ve been a member for two weeks now. I’m going to be initiated tomorrow.”

“WHAT!!! Oh no, now that is a horrible joke.”

“Unfortunately it’s true.”


I was breathing heavily. I felt like I was going to explode. My own brother a criminal? I thought to myself this could not be happening. I looked at him. He looked down, ashamed of himself. I did not know what to do, but we had to solve this matter as soon as possible before my little brother disappeared because of the criminal lifestyle. I had lost so many friends to the Mean Gangsters. Some victims of their attacks, others members of the gang felled by the bullet of a gun or by the members of the public. I thought my brother would be next, and I would be called one day and asked to go and identify his body, from a ditch somewhere. No, we had to solve the issue right there and then. I had no other option. I had to go and see their leader to ask for my brother back. As for the money, we would work together to pay it off. As we left my brother did not feel it a great idea, but we had to do something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Men, we need to wake up

(all photos courtesy of Google). The world is evolving. Time is changing. Women are gaining power. Men are seated, watching, waiting for their turn. In the 90s and early 2000s all campaigns were directed at ‘empowering the women’ Do not get me wrong, women were mistreated and suffered under the tyranny of men and their egos. UNICEF created the International Day of the Girl to help end the circle of violence against adolescent girls. It is celebrated on the 11 th of October annually. Education was the major concern and center of debates, and the United Nations felt that it had serious impacts on human and economic aspects of society. Girls worldwide were forced to cook, clean and do other house hold chores while their male siblings went to school and received care and attention from parents. Girls were seen as a curse while boys were seen as a blessing. Men felt proud having a boy while mistreating the poor mother for having a girl. Something needed to

The Most Amazing Story Never Written

(Made on Canva) Alright. We need to write a short film and shoot it by the end of the month. Ok. What story are we telling? What stories excite the masses? I am not too sure. I think drama has been overwritten. Action? You think we can pull it off? We are going to need a budget for that. Not to mention we are going to need a trainer, an action director, a stunt manager, a doctor, practice the stunts, different days for shooting, a good director of photography and fit actors? Hahaha. Why do you think we would need fit actors? You trying to say we can’t find any? From the people we have. I highly doubt it. What would our actors be fighting against? Aliens? They never come to take over the world here. Zombies, our actors would run and leave us alone on the set. Moreover, we couldn’t get it approved. We don’t fight wars and we never have had heroes we can write about. How about we check online? All I found were stories about aliens, zombies and things that would never happen this side of t

Why an antagonist is important to a story

  (Made on Canva) Who is an antagonist? An antagonist is the villain of a story. It can be a human being, a natural phenomenon like a hurricane, a disease, an animal, an idea or a fictional character like a dinosaur. The aim of the antagonist is to create chaos and wreak havoc while creating obstacles for the protagonist (hero). The protagonist has to find a solution to the uncomfortable situation caused by the antagonist. In story-telling, the antagonist propels the story forward by creating an inciting incident that forces the protagonist to go on a journey to remedy the situation and restore balance. In the Dark Knight (2008), the Joker creates chaotic situations in the city of Gotham with the aim of killing the Batman. In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Thanos is looking for rings that will give him ultimate power and make him the supreme being of the universe. Why are antagonists not popular? Being an antagonist is not very appealing, especially in the acting business becau