Skip to main content

My Replacemennt

(Photo Source: s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com)

I didn't know how I was going to react. I felt cheated, betrayed, annoyed, full of hate, I was ready to murder someone.
"Why? Why is this happening to me? After all this time? What will happen to my daughter? How can another man just come in and take over?"
I felt like I was not man enough; another man had to come do my job.
Rose had called me the day before and she asked that I meet the man she will be marrying the next month. She said it was important because he will be the one who will be helping her take care of my little princess Nelly. She wanted to make sure I was cool with it, and to make things simpler she would also come along with my daughter.
I did not know how to react. What man would want to meet his rival. My thought began flowing on the fact that she was cheating on me before the divorce. This man she was bringing was probably responsible for it. He gave her something I couldn't. The worst thought I had, was Nelly was not mine but his. I figured Rose was not coming to introduce this...this...devil to me, not to tell me he was going to be Nelly's stepfather, but he was Nelly's actual, biological...I cannot finish that statement.
I was sinking deep in dark thoughts. I had strangled, killed, burnt and shot this man. I had cut his limbs, put them in acid and hang one of his teeth on my neck as a reminder of the man who stole my precious. I almost lost my mind. That is when I remembered Nelly. My princess. I loved her so much. I felt guilty when I divorced her mother, because that would mean we would be apart. Of course I get to visit and have her for some time, but I want to be with her forever. She is my precious.
I returned to normalcy and decided, 'you know what, I will be happy for Nelly. She means the world to me'. I returned the knife to the drawer and realized I was cutting my wrists in my unconscious raged state. I also returned my pistol and poison that I was to place in the man's tea. I went took out a piece of bandage and covered my hands. It was 2 pm and they were almost arriving.
I cleaned up hastily and started cooking spaghetti which was Nelly's favorite dish. The door bell rang. I froze. It rang again, I breathed in and out heavily, took off my apron and went to open the door.
"Halo, come in."
"Daddy!"
She came running out of the car and into my arms. I hugged her so tightly as I wept.
"Halo my princess. Come in."
I did not pay that much attention to Rose and her man. She knew I would not. They came in and sat, while Nelly helped me set up the table and serve the food. We chatted away, while eating, ignoring the two and Rose was almost having a meltdown.
"We are here as well. Do not ignore us."
"I am sorry. I do not get to see my daughter that often."
"You know what, it was a mistake to come here, let's go home honey."
"Wait, wait. You came here to talk, so let's talk."
"Daddy, this man has been living in our house with mom."
"Yes, I know sweetie."
"I don't want him, I want you, when are you coming back home dad?"
"We already talked about this Nelly. Your mom and I are no longer together."
"But dad?"
"My dear sweet princess, let me talk to them for now then we will talk later on, OK?"
"OK"
"Go to my room, I bought you some new toys to play with so that you don't get bored."
"Thanks dad."
She left us. The three of us in one room. Me, my former wife and my replacement.
"So?"
"Really we already talked on the phone."
"Yes, I know we did. I am waiting for you to tell me who this man is."
"This man is my fiancé. His name is Joseph. He works at an insurance firm, and earns around 120,000 Shillings a month, more than you. He is a devoted Christian and loves me a lot. We are getting married next month and he will be helping me take care of Nelly, something you were never able to."
In between her speech I had the urge to strangle her neck, but since I had passed that phase a while back I felt sorry. Sorry that she had to insist and put emphasis on how better her new man was. Joseph kept staring around avoiding eye contact with me as Rose kept heaping praises about him. I was no longer interested though, so I blocked my hearing. Once she was done I composed myself.
"Well that is good, if indeed this man is as good as the many praises you have made, then I accept him as the step-father to my child." I smiled.
Rose almost collapsed. She was in complete shock. She just moved her mouth up and down.
"What did you just say?"
"Feel free to get married. It is no longer a concern to me."
"What do you mean it is no longer a concern to you?"
"You have brought him and introduced him to me, that is quite enough. Please go get married, and make sure you take care of my daughter."
"Thank you, I will"
Rose was still paralyzed, I am guessing she expected me to react violently. She thought I would blow up with jealousy knowing that she had replaced me. She wanted to dig in farther to see if she can get the reaction she wanted.
"Are you seeing someone?"
"Not really."
"Why are you so calm about this?"
"How did you want me to react Rose?"
"Well...I...what happened to your arms?
"I was exercising in the gym, unfortunately I do not have gloves to protect my hand and palms."
"Were you cutting yourself?"
"Not really. I was doing pull ups with my arms, when I got tired so I decided to pull with my palms. However, I got some nasty cuts and blisters."
My constant smile was keeping her uneasy. However, she knew when she was beaten. I turned to Joseph;
"Listen I love my daughter a lot, please take care of her. If anything happens to her I will hold you responsible. If you will excuse me I will go play with her for a little while."

Rose tried to protest as I stood up and left them. But she couldn't. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Men, we need to wake up

(all photos courtesy of Google). The world is evolving. Time is changing. Women are gaining power. Men are seated, watching, waiting for their turn. In the 90s and early 2000s all campaigns were directed at ‘empowering the women’ Do not get me wrong, women were mistreated and suffered under the tyranny of men and their egos. UNICEF created the International Day of the Girl to help end the circle of violence against adolescent girls. It is celebrated on the 11 th of October annually. Education was the major concern and center of debates, and the United Nations felt that it had serious impacts on human and economic aspects of society. Girls worldwide were forced to cook, clean and do other house hold chores while their male siblings went to school and received care and attention from parents. Girls were seen as a curse while boys were seen as a blessing. Men felt proud having a boy while mistreating the poor mother for having a girl. Something needed to

The Most Amazing Story Never Written

(Made on Canva) Alright. We need to write a short film and shoot it by the end of the month. Ok. What story are we telling? What stories excite the masses? I am not too sure. I think drama has been overwritten. Action? You think we can pull it off? We are going to need a budget for that. Not to mention we are going to need a trainer, an action director, a stunt manager, a doctor, practice the stunts, different days for shooting, a good director of photography and fit actors? Hahaha. Why do you think we would need fit actors? You trying to say we can’t find any? From the people we have. I highly doubt it. What would our actors be fighting against? Aliens? They never come to take over the world here. Zombies, our actors would run and leave us alone on the set. Moreover, we couldn’t get it approved. We don’t fight wars and we never have had heroes we can write about. How about we check online? All I found were stories about aliens, zombies and things that would never happen this side of t

Why an antagonist is important to a story

  (Made on Canva) Who is an antagonist? An antagonist is the villain of a story. It can be a human being, a natural phenomenon like a hurricane, a disease, an animal, an idea or a fictional character like a dinosaur. The aim of the antagonist is to create chaos and wreak havoc while creating obstacles for the protagonist (hero). The protagonist has to find a solution to the uncomfortable situation caused by the antagonist. In story-telling, the antagonist propels the story forward by creating an inciting incident that forces the protagonist to go on a journey to remedy the situation and restore balance. In the Dark Knight (2008), the Joker creates chaotic situations in the city of Gotham with the aim of killing the Batman. In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Thanos is looking for rings that will give him ultimate power and make him the supreme being of the universe. Why are antagonists not popular? Being an antagonist is not very appealing, especially in the acting business becau