Skip to main content

A Year On

A year has passed since that dreadful day in September.
(Photos Courtesy of Google).

It was around 12.30 to 12.40 when my mom and I were having lunch. It was a sunny Saturday afternoon and I was preparing myself to go visit a friend who was recovering from a surgery at M.P Shah Hospital is Westlands. I had worn a striped purple and white shirt, my skinny jeans and sneakers.
We left the house and my mother drove towards M.P Shah but she thought about passing through the Westgate road. As we reached the roundabout we were stopped by police and asked to use an alternative route since they were fighting robbers along that road. We faithfully complied believing that the robbers will of course be judged and punished by our “Mboys.”
As we continued on with our journey, ambulances, security cars and personal vehicles passed us. My mother avoided them. She said it could have been the thugs or the police in hot pursuit and there was always the possibility of a stray bullet. When we arrived at the hospital it was chaos. People with injuries were being rushed in so we could not use the main gate.
We parked outside and walked through the main gate where we met the disgruntled faces of people. Some in shock, others shouting, others crying, others making calls about how their loved ones were shot, others checking every patient who passed hoping to see a familiar face, while other just stood and watched. I got a bad feeling about what was happening. This did not look like any ordinary robbery; I became unsettled.
We were guided to my friend’s room by her best friend who had been with her. My mother sat as I looked at my friend and happy she was still the happy person I knew. After a few minutes I became restless. For one I feared hospitals then (at least am trying these days) and two I still had a bad feeling about the day.
I told my mom I wanted to leave; at least my friend was not in any real danger and she had family around her. As we left my mom said she had wanted to visit Westgate to withdraw her money, but since we did not know the situation she opted to go to Yaya Centre instead.
When we arrived at Yaya Centre the security was intense. We just went to the bank got what my mom wanted and left. When we arrived home we watched the T.V to see if the robbers were apprehended or ‘dealt’ with. We were shocked. A friend of mine texted and asked if I was O.K, I said yes.
When I went back to school, other students were troubled, some could not trace their relatives (since it was rumored the terrorist were holding hostages), others were in shock because they had been to the mall on that fateful day, while others prayed and asked people to be strong.
I do not understand why Kenya has become what it is 50 years after independence. If you are not killed by the police, it is thugs who are trigger happy, or you can be killed by a mob of Kenyans who want to rid the country of thugs, or terrorists who have no moral obligation.
The thing I love about Kenyans is their sense of duty and responsibility. We are going through so much, but Kenyans move on. We bury our dead, sympathize with their loved ones and move on TOGETHER. If the Westgate attack was to shake us, in my opinion, IT FAILED.

I thank God that my mother, my friends, family, and I are OK. It is by the grace of God. If you lost a loved one I am deeply sorry, but I am sure they are in a better place now and that God is protecting them. I know if they could talk to you right now they would ask you to live your life, but never forget the precious moments you shared with them. They will always be with you.


What we should do, is continue sharing the LOVE. WE ARE ONE.




GOD BLESS YOU, GOD BLESS KENYA


God Bless all those who risked their lives to save others. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Men, we need to wake up

(all photos courtesy of Google). The world is evolving. Time is changing. Women are gaining power. Men are seated, watching, waiting for their turn. In the 90s and early 2000s all campaigns were directed at ‘empowering the women’ Do not get me wrong, women were mistreated and suffered under the tyranny of men and their egos. UNICEF created the International Day of the Girl to help end the circle of violence against adolescent girls. It is celebrated on the 11 th of October annually. Education was the major concern and center of debates, and the United Nations felt that it had serious impacts on human and economic aspects of society. Girls worldwide were forced to cook, clean and do other house hold chores while their male siblings went to school and received care and attention from parents. Girls were seen as a curse while boys were seen as a blessing. Men felt proud having a boy while mistreating the poor mother for having a girl. Something needed to

The Most Amazing Story Never Written

(Made on Canva) Alright. We need to write a short film and shoot it by the end of the month. Ok. What story are we telling? What stories excite the masses? I am not too sure. I think drama has been overwritten. Action? You think we can pull it off? We are going to need a budget for that. Not to mention we are going to need a trainer, an action director, a stunt manager, a doctor, practice the stunts, different days for shooting, a good director of photography and fit actors? Hahaha. Why do you think we would need fit actors? You trying to say we can’t find any? From the people we have. I highly doubt it. What would our actors be fighting against? Aliens? They never come to take over the world here. Zombies, our actors would run and leave us alone on the set. Moreover, we couldn’t get it approved. We don’t fight wars and we never have had heroes we can write about. How about we check online? All I found were stories about aliens, zombies and things that would never happen this side of t

Why an antagonist is important to a story

  (Made on Canva) Who is an antagonist? An antagonist is the villain of a story. It can be a human being, a natural phenomenon like a hurricane, a disease, an animal, an idea or a fictional character like a dinosaur. The aim of the antagonist is to create chaos and wreak havoc while creating obstacles for the protagonist (hero). The protagonist has to find a solution to the uncomfortable situation caused by the antagonist. In story-telling, the antagonist propels the story forward by creating an inciting incident that forces the protagonist to go on a journey to remedy the situation and restore balance. In the Dark Knight (2008), the Joker creates chaotic situations in the city of Gotham with the aim of killing the Batman. In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Thanos is looking for rings that will give him ultimate power and make him the supreme being of the universe. Why are antagonists not popular? Being an antagonist is not very appealing, especially in the acting business becau