Skip to main content

Change starts with me, Change starts with you, Change starts with us

(Photos courtesy of Google)
I believe we have lost our senses as human beings. We have stooped so low and rejected what has made us live in relative peace. So many things are happening today and they create questions in my mind “where did we go wrong?”

I had a dream about my old high school days, when I was thinner and looked healthier than I am today. When I felt the need to work hard, because it was the only thing I had left. When I felt like running was a punishment that should have been abolished. When you could walk into the town of Nairobi and feel a sense of calm and tranquility.

Then comes the reality today. I left myself loose and became obese, now I have a lump in my stomach and for some strange reason I keep on increasing in size. I don’t feel safe in walking into town, at any time. There are thieves, the police and the terrorists who want to cause fear, pain and havoc. I am now walking with an old phone and the exact amount of fare because I have no idea when I will be attacked.


Blame it on the wild notion that “you need money to survive”; Blame it on the government who seem to be more interested in themselves rather than being concerned for the state of the nation; Blame it on the terrorists who are being diminished in their home country and have come seeking revenge; Blame it on the parents who were always away and left the upbringing of their child to the nannies/maids and the teachers; Blame it on the society who have become ignorant of what is happening around, it has become normal; Blame it on the youth of today, who practice the need for money, as many women as possible, drugs and alcohol (funny thing, when someone is looking for a job after campus, it is only for raves and extreme partying); Blame it on ‘entertainment’ which has given people lies and falsehoods of the rich and famous, and yet we are not necessarily rich; Worst thing, Blame it on God for allowing this to happen, unfortunately He made us and has given us the chance to turn back to Him, but He has been given Sundays and prayer requests when something bad happens, plus blamed and asked why He did not intervene when His servants are being massacred.
I, at times, feel like locking myself from the world. I look at what is happening and I feel sick to my stomach. In my dream, I had gone back to there to warn people to take life more seriously, especially me. I wanted to tell myself to take care of my body and continue exercising to avoid the humongous pot belly I have today. I wanted to warn the people of the world that the days of 2015 are coming when we all lose our humanity and replace it with selfish desires. However, when I woke up nothing had changed.













I am now asking myself, how can I make a change? I have been talking to my friends and anybody I have shared time in the past few weeks and shared with them my views, opinions and what we can do. I am a master’s student so I interact with older people, most of the parents. I tell them about my plight and discomfort in the world today and we agree that what is happening is based on our ignorance. After a hefty discussion, we give possible solutions and if they are parents, I ask them to take care of their children to avoid the disasters we have today.


It always starts at the grass root levels. If parents are able to take care of their children and give love and protection, they will not feel lonely and depressed. However, most parents today are always thinking about where the next meal will come from or providing the best for their children and forget their emotional needs and support. Parents believe that as long as they have given their child everything that they want they should be happy. They become shocked when the child turns for the worst and becomes a notorious criminal in society. It has been reported that the most dangerous and evil people are the ones who have everything in this world because they have nothing to lose. If you are a parent ask yourself, “When my child grows up, who will he or she become? And if he or she turns for the worst, will it be my problem?” As a parent be worried about your child and their future



Love is the best solution. Let us build a culture of love and respect for each other. Let us not place others in harm for our selfish gains. Let us work together and stop ignoring the social evils that keep on rising every day. Let us return to humanity where any person’s life is held dear and important. Let us LOVE.


The problem is that we see bad things happening and ignore because they do not affect us. That is until they do affect us, and that is when we want to create awareness which never lasts. Some things like mugging, robberies and carjacking have become so common that children of 13 years are doing it themselves. If someone is attacked, ‘It happens, move on.’

Mahatma Gandhi once said



Let us change the world; even if we are scared of dying; even if we are scared of persecution; even if we are not affected; even if we could not care less; even if it is the government’s fault; even if we have become accustomed to the problems of this world; even if we feel like God has abandoned us; even if we dream about a better tomorrow; Change will only come if we decide to make it.

In Memory of the 147 plus people who lost their lives 
in the Garissa College University attack
May God Rest your Souls in Peace







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Men, we need to wake up

(all photos courtesy of Google). The world is evolving. Time is changing. Women are gaining power. Men are seated, watching, waiting for their turn. In the 90s and early 2000s all campaigns were directed at ‘empowering the women’ Do not get me wrong, women were mistreated and suffered under the tyranny of men and their egos. UNICEF created the International Day of the Girl to help end the circle of violence against adolescent girls. It is celebrated on the 11 th of October annually. Education was the major concern and center of debates, and the United Nations felt that it had serious impacts on human and economic aspects of society. Girls worldwide were forced to cook, clean and do other house hold chores while their male siblings went to school and received care and attention from parents. Girls were seen as a curse while boys were seen as a blessing. Men felt proud having a boy while mistreating the poor mother for having a girl. Something needed to

The Most Amazing Story Never Written

(Made on Canva) Alright. We need to write a short film and shoot it by the end of the month. Ok. What story are we telling? What stories excite the masses? I am not too sure. I think drama has been overwritten. Action? You think we can pull it off? We are going to need a budget for that. Not to mention we are going to need a trainer, an action director, a stunt manager, a doctor, practice the stunts, different days for shooting, a good director of photography and fit actors? Hahaha. Why do you think we would need fit actors? You trying to say we can’t find any? From the people we have. I highly doubt it. What would our actors be fighting against? Aliens? They never come to take over the world here. Zombies, our actors would run and leave us alone on the set. Moreover, we couldn’t get it approved. We don’t fight wars and we never have had heroes we can write about. How about we check online? All I found were stories about aliens, zombies and things that would never happen this side of t

Why an antagonist is important to a story

  (Made on Canva) Who is an antagonist? An antagonist is the villain of a story. It can be a human being, a natural phenomenon like a hurricane, a disease, an animal, an idea or a fictional character like a dinosaur. The aim of the antagonist is to create chaos and wreak havoc while creating obstacles for the protagonist (hero). The protagonist has to find a solution to the uncomfortable situation caused by the antagonist. In story-telling, the antagonist propels the story forward by creating an inciting incident that forces the protagonist to go on a journey to remedy the situation and restore balance. In the Dark Knight (2008), the Joker creates chaotic situations in the city of Gotham with the aim of killing the Batman. In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Thanos is looking for rings that will give him ultimate power and make him the supreme being of the universe. Why are antagonists not popular? Being an antagonist is not very appealing, especially in the acting business becau