Skip to main content

Awkward feelings


It started with a feeling.
I felt like something was out of sync. I was confused, but I knew something would happen.
 (picture from google.com)

Thursday Afternoon
Cold day, well it the el-Niño season so of course it was going to be cold. I was not so sure I wanted to attend class that day, but seeing as how my parents are still supporting me at my age, I would feel guilty for a month. I did my assignments and prepared myself for school that is until the lecturer was unable to come for class.
I was relieved, but still felt empty.
Friday
I woke up, late as usual (I must be the laziest person in my age) I was supposed to go to town, and as usual I was battling in my mind whether I should go or not. When I was done giving myself reasons to leave, I left the house and went to town.
I had to pass through the bank because the school had found fees I had not paid and exam week was approaching. While I was on the line, the guy behind me (a youth nearly my age) was pushing too close to me. I have issues concerning space, so I did my best to keep him at arm’s length. I felt sick because I felt he had no reason to push up so close to me. I don’t think there would be anyone who would cross the line, not unless they wanted to meet the dry disgusting glares Kenyans give to people who annoy them. I was happy to reach the counter (I had to check he had not robbed me, the insecurity these days, wooiii).
photo courtesy of google)

I finished my businesses in town and got on a bus to school. As I was alighting, while holding the bar I fell backwards. Luckily no one was behind me (I have no money to settle law suits) and the guy next to me asked me what was wrong. It was then I realized I had an abnormal week and something strange was going on or something bad was about to happen.
Saturday
The whole of Saturday I kept my eye open for anything suspicious, a thug, a terrorist, a kidnapper, a ‘police officer (there are people masquerading as police and collecting money so that the ‘suspects’ can avoid prison) or an accident. Kenya has become that bad, and it is even worse for youth like me who are easy targets for the crooks.
Sunday
So this was the day it was supposed to happen. I could not have guessed it.
It started like any other Sunday. Bright morning, chirping birds. I prepared myself for church, but still had that awkward feeling. While in church there was a little girl who looked at me for an entirety (I must be that handsome). She smiled at me (maybe she was an angel sent to try and calm me before the storm).
He had asked me to visit him. I gave the lame excuse that I needed my mother to be with me. He said I was a big man, I could come on my own. I was nervous and said I would when I could. Well I didn’t and now there is no way of reversing time. When my mother said softly he had passed on at 11, I felt annoyed at myself, I felt ashamed and then I felt sorry. He had been suffering for so long, and all he had asked was for a visit. May God rest his soul.

(picture from Facebook)

R.I.P
Mr. Adikiny
(photo from Facebook.com)
R.I.P

Peter Kassig
(photo from CNN)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Way from home

(Photo Source: Common dreams website) Jadim is a refugee. That is what the international organizations call her. The country hosting her is expected to feed her, protect her and make sure she is comfortable until her home country has some amount of peace. She gets ‘aid’ in terms of food, clothes, a blanket and a shelter. She has a right to get them. Moreover she is now pregnant, so she is feeding for two people. She sees people coming in and out, she heard they are called donors. Every time she sees the stream of vehicles she has to ensure her shelter is clean and she puts on a smile. They are the ones responsible for her stay there and they need to feel they are doing something. It also means extra rations that day, so of course she will put on her best smile. Jadim has lived in the camp for 2 years now.  Despite  all the niceties mentioned above, she constantly feels she was better at home, but since she lost her husband and two children to the war, she decid...

Unappreciated Hero

(Photo Source: www.wakatipuchurch.com/wp-content/uploads/Mother-waiting.gif) Kevin was coming home. It was 3 am in the morning. He had just been dropped off by his friends and was staggering to the doorstep. He looked up and saw the lights from the sitting room were on. He tried to wipe himself to look tidy, not like someone who had just spent the better part of the day smoking and drinking. After his futile attempts he gave up and decided he needed to sleep. He unlocked the door using his keys, entered and shut it. He removed his shoes and tried to tiptoe to his room, but he knew it was futile. "Halo Kevin." "Halo Mom." "Long night I see?" "Yes mom, I enjoyed myself." "That is good my son, but I have a question to ask, or rather a favor." "Not again mom. For crying out loud it is 3 am in the morning. Can't we just talk tomorrow?" "No we have to talk now." "Come...

In search of humanity

(Ask Ideas website) The world, to me, has become a depressing world. It would seem we have lost our humanity. I know I have circled around this topic, but to me it is important to repeat it as much as possible. The reason I am writing this is because there are people who feel they have no meaning in this life. I went out for coffee with a good friend of mine, a brother, when we left we met a street child rummaging through a dustbin in the cold Nairobi streets. I felt sorry for the boy and decided to assist him with some of my coins. I tapped on his back and he almost jumped. He started running and I called him back and gave him the coins. We were shocked at his reaction. We tried to guess why he ran. He must have thought it was the police who wanted to hit him for ‘being on the streets’; a shop owner angry that he is going through the trash can with a possibility of dropping the trash on the shop door; he must have thought it was the county askaris wanting to beat him for...